Sunday, December 6, 2009

Network Changes Impact My Learning

With the addition of my classes through Walden University, my learning network has changed dramatically. The Mind Map below does a good job visually representing the impact. Most of my learning and influence now comes from my courses. Although the information in our classes is somewhat familiar to me, it has had a profound effect on my performance at work. The classes have refocused me and my ideas. I have implemented several changes at my campus that have all been successful. The information I use to make decisions now comes from outside of my career and has made a dramatic difference. Blogs, webs, and profession webs have become the main learning tools. In the past I relied on the internal support from the district.

The most important tool I use is my laptop. I would be lost without it. 3 months ago I found out just how lost I was. My computer became infected with a Trojan house that somehow bypassed the district security measures. Several others in the district were also affected. I had to use a loaner machine for five weeks. I had to reload software, set up email, and configure everything to run the way I like it to. The first day it happened I sat and did nothing for the most part. I felt lost. Luckily everything was backed up but I didn’t have access yet to the information on the new laptop.

I now have to laptop back and its running better than ever. That’s good with all the new knowledge and ideas flowing in from internet based sources. I knew these resources were out there but I never utilized them like I am now. Whenever I have a question I use the online resources first to develop a better understanding of possible solutions.

I feel more connected than ever and my enthusiasm for what I am doing couldn’t be greater. My learning network is growing every day. I am developing a support system that will help me and my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment