Sunday, November 8, 2009

Survey of Instructional Design Blogs

My background in Graphic Design and Education has led me to a Graduate program in Instructional Design and Technology. I am excited about using this blog to explore the field of Instructional Design. This medium allows for a wide variety of views on the subject. To start the blog I looked at more than twenty blogs pertaining to Instructional Design. The themes and content of these blogs varied greatly and I quickly got sucked in.

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/instructional-design/
Blogs about: Instructional Design was a great resource with a large variety of subjects. For general but very good information I think this site is excellent.

http://learningvisions.blogspot.com/2009/11/independent-instructional-designers.html
The Learning Visions blog by Cammy Bean is really nice because I felt a more personal connection with her and the ideas she was sharing. The information seems focused on the development of Instructional Designers. There as an extensive amount of information and it is well organized. This is an informative site that I will be following now and in the future.

http://sailingsound.blogspot.com/
The Sailing By Sound Blog by Dennis Coxe was my favorite. I during my initial exploration of Instructional Design blogs I spent more time here than any other. I found the subject very forward thinking and innovative. Focused on elearning and education, the blog also provides links to good sites related to learning theories and brain based methods. I was interested in the blogs concerning learning and text messaging. I thought about the students at my school and how so many of them have cell phones. If only we could use them for good and not evil in a middle school setting.

It will be interesting to see how my opinon of these site change as I learn more about the ID field.

2 comments:

  1. Jason, thank you for sharing the blog entitled “Learning Visions.” Right off the back, Cammy (the author of this blog) captured my attention by posting a poll designed to determine what software is most used by self publishing free-lance instructional designers. Although I work for a corporation and do not freelance, my organization just purchased articulate and I’m using it for the first time this month. This is the first self-publishing tool I’ve had access too so it was good to see that of the six choices, Articulate is the 2nd most popular. This poll gave me a “good, my company is on the right track” feeling.
    I also learned that there is another piece to Articulate called Screenr that is FREE. I will have to determine if it is for version 9 or version 5 because unfortunately my company purchased an older version for us which was a little disappointing and has lead to a bit of frustration as most quick tips and demos we find online are for version 9. Cammy is a VP of Learning Design at Kineo, and has conducted some great research and shares the following interesting tidbit “Then I went on to show about 12 tools in more detail – some of which would probably make it onto a top ten list (Flash, Captivate, Articulate, and Lectora) – the remaining tools trying to hit at some of the other options out there (Smart Builder, eXe, Udutu, Thinking Worlds, Raptivity, Flypaper, Mohive, and Atlantic Link).” Since Articulate is the first self-publishing software I’ve worked with, I’ve never been exposed or even heard mention of any of the tools in the last set of parentheses. This has sparked my curiosity and now I want to find out more.
    In addition to running polls and digging through research to extrapolate information for IDs she also holds discussions around some great topics such as, suggested readings for IDs, the value of IDs, getting started in ID, her objections to learning objectives (thought that was a nice play on words as well). As a self-taught ID now working on my Masters, in Instructional Design and Technology, I look forward to reading more from her blog. Thanks again for finding this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason,

    I am really looking forward to learning more from you in how I can incorporate technology into my classroom. The blog sites you posted are a great start. Currently I have a classroom set of laptops, a projector with a tablet and a classroom blog. Any ideas?

    Anita

    ReplyDelete