Sunday, November 15, 2009

Valuable Resources - Creatively Speaking

All this talk about brains and learning theories have me thinking about two people who have influenced me in my career choices in the past fifteen years. As an Instructional Designer I find their influences are still relevant and form a good foundation for my future.
I was introduced to Edward de Bono when I started college in pursuit of a degree in Graphic Design. De Bono’s book, Serious Creativity, was required reading at Southwest Texas and for good reason. Strategies like Lateral Thinking and Six Hats method are great for developing creative or “out of the box” approaches to problems. You can find more information including weekly postings by Mr. de Bone at his official website
http://www.edwdebono.com/index.html

In Education, a new Learning or Teaching theory comes around every five years or so. When I started teaching, Harry Wong was the name I heard most. His classroom strategies and techniques for building relationships with students was the hottest thing going. Today, Robert Marzano has educator’s attention. His strategies are firmly based in learning theory and educational research. His book, Classroom Instruction that Works, was the subject of a district wide book study 2 years ago. You can find more information about Mr. Marzano and his research at the following link.
http://www.marzanoresearch.com/research/researched_strategies.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment